Thursday, May 17, 2012

(14) Vermont

Capitol: Montpelier

OK, I need some instant gratification, so it's time to work on some of the northeast states. They are soooo small on this scale. I was trying to think up ideas for Rhode Island last night, and my daughter pointed out that there was only room for the capitol bead and an outline!!! Not much to work with. And forget finding a pin back for that one, it is 1/4" x 1/8"!!! I'll be lucky if it can be attached to an earring back!

So, in honor of my friend, Sue Sudia, I decided to bead Vermont.

Growing up in Western NY, when I thought of Vermont I thought of skiing. I spent most of my childhood skiing at Swain, NY, vertical drop a whopping 650 feet! So skiing in Vermont was the Holy Grail. That was, until I moved to Colorado. Sorry Vermont. You've got nothing on Colorado when it comes to big mountains and great snow. However, you beat the pants off of Colorado when it comes to fall foliage! After 17 years in Colorado I still laugh at the excitement over Fall colors. In the mountains, Fall colors are green evergreens with a sprinkling of yellow Aspen leaves. That's it. Yellow. Vermont gives you all sorts of shades of yellows, oranges, reds, browns, and who knows what. So hold your head high Vermont!

The trouble with this project is the sized of some of the states. Vermont is 7/8" x 1/2". Not much space to work with. I beaded the whole base brown, for the bark of trees (see below). Then I made as many 3D leaves as I could squish into that little space, using yellows, tans, oranges, reds. The picture doesn't do it justice, it is adorable!

2 comments:

Shirley said...

I just love the ideas you come up with to represent the states!

sussudio said...

You Rock! How much can I thank you.... Huge!!!!!