Sunday, May 20, 2012

(15) North Carolina

Capitol: Raleigh

Up until this point, after finishing each pin another idea was already in my head. Not so this time. I think I am struggling with Rhode Island. It's so darn little! Seriously, it probably can't even be an earring! Instead of figuring this out, I decided to avoid the issue for awhile. Finally, North Carolina popped into my head.

At first thought, North Carolina conjures up vacations to the Outer Banks. Bill and I have been there a few times with friends, and once my parents rented a beach house for my whole extended family. That was a fun week! Hard to put into beads though! Further thought brought back memories of a wonderful week I spent at the "John C. Campbell Folk School". To quote their website: "John C. Campbell Folk School provides experiences in non-competitive learning and community life that are joyful and enlivening. Located in scenic Brasstown, North Carolina, the Folk School offers year-round weeklong and weekend classes for adults in craft, art, music, dance, cooking, gardening, nature studies, photography and writing."

Somewhere in the nineties I took a weeklong stained glass class at the school. Before beading, stained glass was my hobby of choice. A beaded work of stained glass seemed the logical choice for NC. This pattern is similar to one of the pieces I worked on the John C. Campbell Folk School. I still have all of my stained glass tools and a bunch of glass in my basement. Wonder if I will ever get back to it?

No comments: