Tuesday, February 19, 2013

(47) Virginia

Capitol: Richmond

Despite living in Maryland for 10 years, right next to Virginia, I didn't have any idea what to do for VA. The only thing that popped into my head was that insidious ad campaign, "Virginia is for Lovers". Wasn't really inspiring. So I thought and thought and thought.

Then I started thinking about my dad, who we lost January 4th. From there I thought about how the Navy sent 2 guys to play taps and present the flag to my mom at the funeral, because my dad was in the Navy in WWII. It was so moving. From there my mind wandered to Arlington National Cemetery, where we could have had my dad buried, if we hadn't cremated him and decided to spread his ashes in his favorite place, Conesus Lake. WAIT! Back up... Arlington National Cemetery, isn't that in Virginia!?!? It takes awhile, but eventually I get there!

So, I decided to pay tribute to all those who served our country, and in particular, my dad, by beading a view of Arlington National Cemetery...the rows of stark, white gravestones.

2 comments:

Jill Berry said...

This is the perfect tribute to your dad, and such a strong representation of the state of VA. There is nothing quite like that vast field of stones.

Sherry Long (blissful beader) said...

I love VA!!! I "lived" in Hayes VA for a couple of months with inlaws. When hubby retired from the army we went to his parents to save up money so we could buy our house in Ohio. Arlington is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places i have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Being a military family we try to teach the children more about our military history and Arlington is perfect with the Tomb of the unknown soldier, especially at changing of the guards.