Saturday, January 12, 2013

(32) South Dakota

Capitol: Pierre

The first time I drove across country with my college roommates, Sue Shepler Blum and Debbie Conroy Quinn I was surprised at all that South Dakota had to offer. First we hit the Badlands which were absolutely fabulous. Such foreign landscape for people from Western NY. Then it was off to the Black Hills, more amazing beauty. From there we went to see Mt. Rushmore... WOW. What an amazing feat. Next we saw Crazy Horse, which was just in it's infancy. When I saw it again a few years ago I was amazed at the progress that had been made. I suggest seeing Mt. Rushmore before Crazy Horse, because as amazing a feat Rushmore was, Crazy Horse's size just dwarfs it.

Lots of pondering, and a drawer full of various face beads and cabochons led me to bead Mt. Rushmore. The picture I based this piece on had the sun shining on the faces, making them look golden. Beautiful.

No comments: