Monday, April 23, 2012

(10) Louisiana

I don't know why I decided to bead Louisiana 10th, but I did. My original thoughts of Louisiana were Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill. I had a cool bead idea for the hurricane, but decided this was all too negative. Also, Louisiana (in this scale) is pretty small. So I pondered some more.

In 1994 Bill and I joined friends in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl - Florida Gators vs. West Virginia Mountaineers. (Gators won). I thought about representing this weekend, we went to the game, saw Preservation Hall Jazz Band perform in Preservation Hall (amazing!!!), ate lots of wonderful food, and drank lots of fun drinks. Too much! Back to the drawing board.

My 3 trips to Louisiana were all to New Orleans. So, I decided to go with that. My favorite kitschy tourist spot was "Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo". The other thing I love about New Orleans is Mardi Gras (even though I have never been to it). For years my Uncle Charlie used to send me a King Cake for Mardi Gras, with purple, green and gold coins and beads included.

I decided to use those two things for this pin. I made a cute little voodoo doll out of felt. She has a little heart sewn on her to represent love and hope for New Orleans (and Louisiana). Then I surrounded her with purple, green and gold beads.

No comments: