Tuesday, April 24, 2012

(11) Nevada

The "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign continues to stalk me. Today I was behind a car from Nevada, and the sign is on their license plate. AAAAAH!

My goal was to make Nevada as Vegas-tacky as possible... I think I may have overachieved! I used some very sparkly sequins, along with lined drops that look like lights. Love it!

Capital: Carson City (Kind of makes you think of "Bonanza", doesn't it!)

I am taking some beading time this week to finish the first 10 pins. I was on a creative beading frenzy for awhile, so didn't want to take the time to do the edging and backing. Boring.

Meanwhile, Las Vegas popped into my head. Well, it didn't really pop into my head, in was shoved in there while watching TV. Probably some stupid crime show based in Vegas. The iconic "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign has been stalking me. Every time I turn on TV, there it is. So, I will take that as a sign (no pun intended) that Nevada should be beaded next.

I have driven through Nevada a few times, and lets just say I'm not a fan. Attractive as Vegas is, I'm not a gambler. Also, the three times I visited Vegas it rained...amazing amounts of rain... flooding streets...water up to the bottom of your car type of rain. Nope. Didn't like it. I did spend some time skiing in the Lake Tahoe area (Mt. Rose, Nevada), and saw a show in Reno, a mini-Vegas as far as I could see. On one trip through Winnemucca was particularly interesting, we saw a huge badger standing on his hind legs, by the side of the road. Very cool, but I just beaded a grizzly bear, not in the mood.

So, Vegas it is. I wanted to make the iconic "Welcome" sign, but the scale of this project, and the size of my letter beads ruled out an exact reproduction. So, instead, I will make up my own, gaudy Vegas sign. Very excited to use my lined drop beads as the lights, and to see how gaudy I can get! Lets see how this goes.

No comments: